Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Michele Truty likes Cilantro

The Vegan Person I Like today is Michele Truty! I met Michele on one of my seemingly innumerable trips to Portland, where she does it all, involving herself in organizing events like Vegan Iron Chef and Vida Vegan Con! I also learned that she is an Illinois native, which is more than I can say for myself (sorry, I was born in the mitten!). Also, I don't mean to be rude, but in person she looks quite a lot older than this photo she sent (in which, she wanted to emphasize, she is sitting on a vinyl couch) with her old pal, Andy (gone but not forgotten). Oh, and most importantly, she writes Vegtastic Voyage which is a super entertaining and informative vegan blog that you should go check out just as soon as you read the rest of this entry.

Because the Vegan Thing Michele Likes is (one of my favorites) cilantro!!

I’m championing the underdog here and going with cilantro as a vegan thing I like. When people hate cilantro, they really hate cilantro. Not usually one to judge folks on their preferences, I’m going out on a limb this time and saying they’re just wrong. Cilantro is versatile, widely available, and super delicious and nutritious!


You can’t just put it on anything, but almost. I love a spicy cilantro pesto for a pizza base or to dress up some simple pan-fried polenta. Whizzed up with some peanuts, olive oil, lemon juice, and spices it’s a simple yet dazzling bread-dippin’ dish. Or just shove a handful into whatever Thai thingie you’re making, taco you’re throwing together, or that burger you weren’t remotely excited about…until now.

1 comment:

  1. Thank YOU for being a vegan person I like!

    ReplyDelete